Sunday, July 6, 2008

total chaos

i may be exaggerating but i feel like my little world of making art and being a mom is spinning a million miles an hour - and i'm just barely getting started. so many things are happening right now, i'm beginning to think that the past 4 years of not focusing on art-making are catching up with me like wild fire. developing and maintaining my etsy store been a wonderful and unpredictable ride. every day it seems, i receive emails and random inquiries that have led me to all sorts of opportunities that i never expected.

amidst, the etsy stuff, i've been working on my drawings - the digital elements and opening up my mind to promoting myself. blogging has become a part-time addiction - and by blogging, i mean reading other bloggers posts and clicking through the links and ads. what a great way to lose track of time. i'm officially trying to keep up to date with my own blog and during the lapse between the previous post and now, i've decided that this will be my process journal. i've experimented with so many processes and i like to try to remember how i got to where i am now from where i was before - of course i lose track of about 2/3 of the events that occurred during each creative experiment. accidents rule my world it seems...so far all have been good, so much so that i can't even begin to consider implementing more control.

the NEWS so i can look back on this time and know what it was i was doing with all my time. for starters, i've been invited to a fellow etsian's new brick and mortar gallery venture Pivot Gallery. Wendy - owner/artist is located in Covington, KY and is opening her new space august 1st. i can't wait to see the space once she opens. i'm sure she'll get some good publicity on one of the many blogs who love this kind of thing - at least i hope she does :) anyway, i'm sending her 6 panels, which has opened up room for new work in my studio.
so there's that, very exciting.

also, i decided to take out an ad on modish. it's a pretty big ad and it took a couple of weeks to create, but wow what a lot of fun it was to make. i was going to have cj do it, but being the determined do-it-yourselfer, i took it on. i learned a ton about imageready and have been applying it to the layout for my website. another huge project that i was going to attempt to do on my own, but the reality of the complexity of dreamweaver hit me pretty hard last week as i was cramming to get my website finished so my ad could link directly to it. by the end of day 3, and a substantial amount of depressing frustration, i gave up on trying to finish it in time. my new goal is to have the site up by aug 1st - much more realistic and i WILL be letting cj take over on that one. you can see the ad here: http://modish.typepad.com/

one morning last week i woke to a message from the Naughty Secretary Club who included me in her blog http://badassical.blogspot.com/ . i was shocked at the collection of imagery she put together. i was so excited to see other people sharing the same reticulated obsession including the author!

on another happy note, i have a table POPPYTALK from july 7th-aug 8th. the them is "home sweet home" and i'm really excited to see what come of that. jan and early the masterminds behind poppytalk have done a super job with their site and making it a snap to put the artist table together. here's a link to the market: http://poppytalkhandmade.com/ yay!

in august i'm planning to advertise on sfgirlbythebay - one of my favorite reads. so look for me there!